Claims Frequently Asked Questions

Tab/Accordion Items

You may search our database and generate a claim from our website, or you may contact our call center at 866-NCCash1 (866-622-2741) Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, and one of our representatives will be glad to search our database and mail you a claim form if property is identified.

The deadline for most companies to file their unclaimed property reports is November 1 of each year. Because of the volume of reports we receive at that time of year, it may take up to 90 days from the date the report was filed for the referenced property to be properly recorded in our database at We encourage you to check the website regularly. The database is updated daily.

Section C on the claim form identifies the Holder’s Name (the company which reported and remitted the funds), and the Property Type identifies the type of property remitted (wages, utility deposit, dividends, stock, etc.).

The exact dollar amount is listed only if the property is $100 or less. Larger dollar amounts are not listed to protect the privacy of individuals for whom we are holding large amounts of money. You may contact our call center to obtain the exact amount of money being held in your name.

  • Driver License
  • Employment application or documents from personnel file
  • W-2 form
  • Income tax form
  • Pay stub
  • City/County tax bill
  • Title to car, truck, boat, mobile home, etc.
  • Bank statement or bank book
  • Privilege license certificate
  • Blank or canceled check, deposit slip
  • Marriage/death certificates, divorce decree
  • Utility, medical, legal, insurance bill, etc.
  • Deed, Deed of Trust, closing documents on property bought/sold
  • Church records
  • Credit Report
  • School records/transcripts
  • Power of Attorney papers
  • Last Will and Testament
  • Trust Agreements
  • Envelope addressed to claimant with US postmark
  • Letter from 911 office verifying new & old address
  • Motor vehicles driving record or registration
  • Letter from US Post Office on official letterhead with signature of Postmaster and official seal affixed
  • Call DMV at 919-715-7000 to request copy of your Driver Address History
  • Military records (check with Veterans Affairs Division)
  • Birth certificate of child born while at that address

There is no time limit for filing claims. The state maintains unclaimed assets for the rightful owners forever.

Documents may be uploaded via the secured ‘Claim Document Upload’ portal or mailed to PO Box 20431, Raleigh NC  27619-0431.

Claims are processed in the order that they are received. In general, claims are reviewed and validated within 90 days. Once your claim is assigned to a Claims Specialist, they will contact you if any additional information or documents are needed. You will be notified via email if/when your claim is approved for payment. You may check the progress of your claim at

Generally speaking, North Carolina does not withhold taxes on any property remitted to it. You may wish to speak with the Holder that reported the property regarding any taxes which may have been withheld prior to remittance, if applicable. Unfortunately, this office cannot provide tax advice regarding specific properties. You may wish to speak with your tax professional regarding this issue.

Estate Questions

Tab/Accordion Items

You will need to contact the Clerk of Superior Court in the County that your relative resided prior to his or her passing. They should be able to help you get the appropriate documentation together to claim the property. Once you have gotten the documentation in order, you may proceed with claiming the property via

The Clerk of Superior Court is statutorily mandated to administer all decedents’ estates. Under certain circumstances less documentation is needed to administer an estate than others. Consequently, the Clerk of Superior Court can help you determine which is the most efficient route to take.

Generally speaking, the Unclaimed Property Division requires current, valid and legally enforceable documentation showing that the person claiming the property has the authority to do so on behalf of the decedent. The Clerk of Superior Court can help you figure out what that documentation needs to be.

Maybe, depending on the way the property was reported to us. If the property was reported as survivorship property or property that would belong completely to either Owner, you would be able to claim the entire amount with proper documentation. If the property was reported as common property that did not have survivorship rights, you will need to contact the Clerk of Court in the County that your relative resided prior to his or her passing in order to obtain the appropriate documentation to claim the property.

Securities Questions

Tab/Accordion Items

  • The business or organization that was holding your shares is required by North Carolina statute to turn over the shares after the shares have gone unclaimed.
  • Shares of stock are turned over to the Unclaimed Property Division for safekeeping after there has been no contact from the owner for three years AND after the holder makes a good faith effort to locate the owner.
  • The shares are then held by UPD for an additional three years before the shares are sold.
  • Proceeds from the share sale are deposited into the Unclaimed Property Fund and held as cash in the original owner’s name.

If your unclaimed shares have not yet been liquidated, in most cases, you have two options when claiming them.

  • RE-REGISTER SHARES:  Most securities can be re-registered at no cost. A small number of stock issuers require shareholders to have actual paper certificates issued when re-registered. The stock issuer charges a fee to issue paper certificates. The fee may be several hundred dollars and must be paid prior to initiating the re-registration. In some cases, you must have a brokerage account, or open a new brokerage account, for the shares to be transferred. 
  • LIQUIDATE SHARES:  Most securities can be liquidated and returned to the claimant as cash. If you elect to liquidate your shares, a small fee is withheld from the proceeds.

No. UPD sells securities on a regular schedule. Shares held by UPD are liquidated after 3 years if unclaimed and requested liquidations are processed as soon as is practical after the request, without regard to share price.

Certain securities have restrictions placed on their ability to transfer that are beyond our control. The shares could be worthless, or they could be “chilled” or “frozen,” which means our transfer agent is prohibited from transferring or liquidating the shares. In some circumstances, there are also restrictions on the liquidation of certain mutual fund shares.

Once your claim has been validated by a Claims Specialist, a request is sent to our Custodian to have the shares liquidated. Typically, the proceeds are received and applied to your claim within two weeks. Time could vary due to specific security limitations: thinly traded, trade restrictions, position held, etc.

For shares of stock and some mutual funds, only whole shares can be reregistered. For most mutual funds, fractional shares can be reregistered. Fractional shares that cannot be reregistered are liquidated, and the proceeds are returned to you upon completion of processing your claim.