Step 3: Prepare Your Report

Holders may prepare their report using holder reporting software to create a NAUPA file. This file must be saved in a .txt, .rpt, or .hrs file format. HDE files are not accepted. Alternatively, holders may key report data directly into North Carolina’s Manual Online Reporting tool. Unclaimed Property reporting forms are no longer required.

When preparing your report, ensure that the proper NAUPA class codes and owner relationship codes are properly selected to assist in returning property to the rightful owner. Guides to selecting the correct code can be found in our Reporting Library.

Property Due Other States

In most cases, unclaimed property should be reported to the state of the last known address of the owner (entitled state). Certain types of property such as traveler’s checks and money orders are reported to the state in which they were purchased. In a situation where the owner’s address is unknown or a foreign address, the property is due to the state where the holder is incorporated. While North Carolina has reciprocal and exchange agreements with some states, holders are encouraged to ONLY report to North Carolina those properties for which it is entitled or incidental property. Incidental property is ten or fewer properties totaling $1,000 or less which are entitled to a state other than North Carolina. Please contact the entitled state to confirm reciprocity practices of the entitled state prior to reporting the property to North Carolina.

NOTE: Due to law changes, any property owed to owners with a last known address in California must be reported directly to California regardless of the value or number of items.

Negative Reports

Negative reports are not required. If you elect to file a negative report, you may submit a $0.00 NAUPA file or enter a manual report for $0.00.

Reporting Securities

Please follow the instructions for remitting and reporting securities detailed in Reporting, Registering, and Transfer Instructions for Securities.

Reporting Tips

  • When preparing your report, ensure that the proper NAUPA class code and owner relationship code fields are properly completed to assist in returning property to the rightful owner. These codes can be found in our Reporting Library.
  • Holders are required to include in their report the full name, last known address, social security number (SSN) or federal tax identification number (FEIN), date of birth, driver’s license number and state of issuance, and email address for each owner, if known.
  • Only valid SSNs or FEINs should be entered in the SSN/FEIN field. Do not populate this field with zeros, dashes, account numbers, etc.
  • Properties should be reported with an Owner Type Code of ‘Other’, ‘Unknown’, or ‘Aggregate’.
  • Fees cannot be assessed unless there is an enforceable contract with the owner or authorized by statute and is not regularly reversed or otherwise cancelled.
  • Holders are encouraged to report all properties individually, regardless of the amount, to assist in returning all property amounts to the rightful owner.

Need to File an Extension

Extensions may be granted for good cause, according to N.C.G.S. § 116B-60(e). Holder must complete an Extension Request Form prior to April 1st for all Life Insurance Holders, and prior to October 1 for all other holders, providing the name and tax id for each holder requesting an extension. An estimated payment should be submitted for each Holder requesting an extension.


Go to Step 4